Tuesday, February 21, 2012

#7 (2012-cbriv) "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins


When I finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, I almost immediately picked up the second book (which I had conveniently already borrowed from a friend). Catching Fire (2009) continues the story of Katniss Everdeen from almost exactly where The Hunger Games leaves off. Since I went into some details of the second book in my review of The Hunger Games, I’m going to keep this review pretty short.

First of all, I was surprised where the plot went. I was expecting something different. However, it continued to hold my attention and I am looking forward to reading the third novel, which really does promise something new. In some ways, this second novel felt like something of a filler book. We were introduced to the world in the first book and something amazing might just happen in the third book, but the second book is there just to just set everything up. It’s still tense and interesting, but not quite as much as the first novel. I am holding off on a more thorough opinion until I’ve finished the entire series.

I realize this is pretty random, but one thing did strike me as I was reading. (SPOILER). Before the second games, Peeta paints a picture of Rue covered in flowers—as Katniss had left her in the first book. However, Peeta wasn’t around for that, and Katniss had said that the highlights they watched after the games had censored the bit about the flowers. Now, I can imagine that Katniss told Peeta about putting flowers on Rue, but Collins made it seem he was painting from knowledge and not creative imagination. I’m not sure how this could be.

No comments: