Thursday, May 9, 2013

#23 (2013/CBR5) "The Fault in Our Stars" By John Green

I feel like I don't need to say very much about The Fault in Our Stars (2012) by John Green. I first heard of it through a review on Cannonball and since then I've seen countless others, all of them raving about this cancer-stricken teenage, love story. This is another book that has been sitting on my wait list at the library forever. It was worth the wait, a quick but thoughtful and powerful read.

Hazel is sixteen years old and has been dealing with terminal cancer since she was thirteen. She meets Augustus at a cancer support group meeting and almost immediately likes him. I don't want to say too much about this book, in part, because the more I think about it, the more sad it makes me. Okay, let's just say that Hazel and Augustus have a fun, sweet, and realistic relationship hampered by their pasts, their illnesses, and their fear of what the future has in store for them. Hazel's relationship with her parents is also very well done and heartbreaking. Green managed to handle the depth of their feelings and their tragedies without getting melodramatic.

Most of the time I was reading this, I was thinking it would make a fantastic movie. A lot of that has to do with Green's writing. The witty banter between the characters would be fun to see on-screen, and the dialogue is sometimes even written in a script-like form, making the transition to the screen feel inevitable. I was glad to see that they are making a movie of this book. It could  be really good. Just, please, please don't mess it up.

No comments: