Saturday, January 4, 2014

2013 in Summation

I did some quick stats on the books I read in 2013 to get a better idea of what I've been reading:

Total books: 70
Fiction: 45
Non-fiction: 24
Women Authors: 47
Men Authors: 23
Women Authors of romance novels: 18
Ratio of female to male authors with the romance authors taken out: 29:23

Authors I've read the most this year:
5 - Lisa Kleypas
3 - Rainbow Rowell
2 - Karen Robards
2 - Joanna Bourne
2 - Mary Roach
2 - Courtney Milan

I'm probably reading a little more romance than I thought, but I have no problem with picking up whatever book I feel like reading. Once I read a number of more serious books in a row, I tend to crave some quick, fun romance. Also, after noticing one year that I was reading significantly more books by men than women, I made an effort to read more books by women. So I'm glad that I have more female authors, even when you don't count the romance novelists. [Not that they don't count, it's just I think they're more for entertainment.]

Some of my favorite books this year:
Fiction - 
Attachments
Fangirl
Calling Me Home
World War Z
Where'd You Go Bernadette
The Handmaid's Tale
The Fault In Our Stars
Gone Girl
Warm Bodies

Non-fiction - 
Twelve Years a Slave
The Boys in the Boat
Behind the Beautiful Forevers
Tiny Beautiful Things

No comments: