Wednesday, June 18, 2014

#32 (2014/CBR5) "Hyperbole and a Half" by Allie Brosh


Unlike the rest of the world, I had not heard of Allie Brosh or her blog until I saw the spate of reviews of her new book, Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, flawed coping mechanisms, mayhem, and other things that happened (2013) on Cannonball. To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like it when I first heard about it. It looked a little weird and potentially unrelatable, but the reviews were so wholeheartedly positive that I didn't want to be left out anymore.

After a lengthy wait at the library, I was finally able to pick up a copy and all my fears of disliking an immensely popular book were put to rest. Brosh's book is a unique kind of biography, talking about absurd, funny, and meaningful times of her life with simple illustrations in comic strip fashion with short explanations that go along with them. Each chapter is separated by different-colored background, and Brosh discusses such varied topics as her dogs, her grandmother's birthday party, her procrastination and lack of motivation, and her struggles with depression.

From the reviews I had already seen, I was expecting something funny and unique, which this book was. However, what took me by surprise was the great writing in her short, explanatory sections. I'm afraid that I'm going to overrun this review with terms like funny, unique, and insightful, but there's no other way to describe it. I loved her tone and her choice of words. Even in the serious sections about depression, there were funny parts. I was going to quote something of hers from her "Motivation" section because I loved her descriptions, and I felt like she was describing me. Unfortunately the book was overdue back at the library, and I returned it in a rush, before I had a chance to go back and copy all my favorite quotes.

I loved Brosh's stories about her dogs and the goose. I loved the stories about her unique perspective on childhood, and I loved her descriptions of her problems with motivation and procrastination. I couldn't relate as well to her take on depression, but her comparison to the dead fish was a fantastic description. Brosh is honest and funny and her book is definitely worth reading. Funny, unique, well-written, and insightful.

1 comment:

Miss Joyce said...

HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK!!! i want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to Prophet Ekpiku for bringing back my husband who left i and the kids for almost two months. i am very much grateful to Prophet Ekpiku. I pray God almighty give you the strength and wisdom to help more people having similar problem like mine. for help you can reach him on his email address:Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com