Sunday, December 6, 2015

#41 [2015/CBR7] "Extreme Exposure" by Pamela Clare

I've been on a bit of a Pamela Clare kick since I found her name on some kind of romantic novels list. Extreme Exposure (2005) is one of Clare's contemporary novels. For the most part, I've found Clare's novels to be suspenseful and fun to read but not particularly remarkable. For instance, I read Extreme Exposure probably a couple of months ago, and I'm having a hard time remembering enough to write this review. Oops, should have written it earlier.

Kara is a single mother and investigative journalist in Denver. Reece is a unicorn, a teacher turned squeaky clean politician (state senator), ready to make a positive difference in the world. Kara is known for her determination and tenacity in digging up stories. She has interviewed Reece a couple of times over the phone but they have never met. That is, until Kara goes to The Rio with her best friend for some drinks and runs into Reece. After getting Kara drunk, her best friend, playing matchmaker, takes off without warning, Kara suddenly has no ride and no money, forcing her to leave with Reece, a virtual, albeit very attractive, stranger. You know, if your friend is trusting you to watch out for her and drive you home, don't leave her alone at the bar. That's shitty. Fortunately, Reece is a man of romantic dreams come true and their intense attraction begins to turn into something more.

Kara receives a tip from an informant about a company doing some illegal and unethical things, and she begins to investigate. This leads to some threats and attacks. By this time Reece is very interested in Kara. She refuses to give him details about her investigation, but he does what he can as a state senator to keep her protected and investigate the matter himself. Not surprisingly, Reece's work in the legislature begins to relate to Kara's investigation. Reece also happens to be very good with her son. There are some very tense moments when Kara is attacked in her home, which keeps the pages turning.

On the whole, I think I enjoyed reading this one. It was fast paced, the characters were likable, and I think I remember there being good chemistry between the two. There were parts that frustrated me. Kara made a ridiculously bad decision that had me shaking my head at the end. Also, the father of Kara's child was a caricature of horribleness. And just when I thought he couldn't get any worse, Clare took him to a whole other level. A large part of Kara's identity is being a mother, yet kids get in the way of romance, so Clare conveniently sent the tyke off with his grandmother for the second part of the book--not really a realistic view of motherhood. This book did stick out for me since it took place in Denver, a place which I am quite familiar. It was weird to read how the heroine lived just blocks away from where I used to live, and went to restaurants I've frequented. It can get distracting when reality and romantic fantasy are so closely tied together, but I liked it.

No comments: