Thursday, January 21, 2016

#5 [2016/CBR8] "I've Got Your Number" by Sophie Kinsella

I've had to drive around the city much more lately, and to take away some of the boredom, I picked up some books on tape. Initially I didn't have many options, so I grabbed I've Got Your Number (2012) by Sophie Kinsella. I'd never read Kinsella before and wasn't sure what to expect. Overall, I guess I was entertained, but my thoughts on this book went back and forth like crazy as I worked my way through. At first it was kind of funny, then I got bored, then I got irritated, then I got caught up in the story. It finally ended on a note of frustration. It made my driving hours more pleasurable, but I'm not sure if I would recommend it. For what it's worth, the Amazon reviews appear to be very positive.

Poppy Wyatt is a physical therapist near London. She's engaged to a wicked smart professor, and has a beautiful, family heirloom ring, which she loses at a busy hotel at the beginning of the book. Soon after, her telephone is stolen, so she doesn't even have a contact number for the hotel staff to contact her if they find the ring. Panicked and disconnected, Poppy sees a discarded cell phone in a trash can and grabs it. She discovers that the phone belongs to the previous personal assistant of business executive Sam Roxton. After some begging, Sam allows her to temporarily keep the phone until she finds her ring, but Poppy has to forward all his business and texts to him until he can get another assistant.

I enjoyed the beginning of the book. It had a light, fun tone. The reader did a great job with voices, and I loved the way she said "Poppy" with her English accent. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of Bridget Jones's Diary. As the book wore on, I started getting a little irritated with Poppy. She was bringing most of her problems on herself by being ridiculous and dishonest. I didn't feel sorry for her, I wanted her to stop being so stupid. How could you sign up the stranger who lent you his phone on a trip to Guatemala without talking to him? Why would you be friends with such a backstabber as Annalise? I also couldn't understand how she could possibly be in love with her fiance, Magnus. They had nothing in common. In addition, there's no question that I picked this book up looking for romance. But text messages between strangers just aren't that romantic. In fact, text messages in general are nothing compared to personal communication.

When Poppy and Sam start working together and start spending real time together, I did get invested in their relationship. But then it was ruined for me by Poppy acting with absolutely no self awareness. ***SPOILERS*** So, Poppy discovers that Magnus has been lying to her and cheating on her. Poppy also discovers (even if she doesn't admit it to herself) that she loves Sam. And yet, she doesn't break the engagement. She doesn't even  hold things off until they can figure things out, or even have a good discussion about Magnus's cheating and lying. Instead she gets ready for her wedding, feeling absolutely miserable. This sets up the climax at the altar, which felt ridiculous and unbelievable. Relationships don't need to begin or end in front of everyone you know.

Although there were parts I enjoyed with this one, there was too much that just rubbed me the wrong way, so I think I will take a break from Kinsella for now.

No comments: