Wednesday, April 6, 2022

#14 [2022/CBR14] Mercy by David Baldacci

My soon-to-be father-in-law recommended that I read Mercy (2021) by David Baldacci. I'd never heard of the book or author, but it sounded interesting enough. I was also curious what kind of book my fiancé's father would think I would like. To be fair, I was told that this was the fourth book in the Atlee Pine series, and I should read the other three books first. I did not, but I was also told that the fourth book is the best one. I decided that reading all four books was too big of a commitment. Although I did miss some details in the ongoing story, I don't regret my decision.

Initially, I don't think I was expecting too much, which is why I listened to Mercy on audiobook. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I found the novel well written and entertaining. Sure, Baldacci's world includes an unnatural plethora of Amazonian women, but it's cool that they can kick some ass. And sure, the bad luck those poor sisters have is astounding, but it's fiction and Baldacci keeps the pages turning.

Atlee (Lee) Pine is an FBI agent, and she has been the star of the previous three books where lots of stuff happened that I don't know about. When Atlee Pine was only six years old, a man came into her home, kidnapped her twin sister, Mercy, and tried to kill Lee. Lee has been searching for her sister ever since, and she finally has a lead that revealed where she was held captive and gives Lee hope that she may still be alive. (I'm assuming this information was gathered in the last book). 

Lee and her companion, Carol Blum--a maternal assistant, start following the trail, interviewing people who may have seen Mercy. The book switches back and forth between Lee and Mercy's point of views, so the reader knows where Mercy is even as Lee searches for her.

I thought this would be the plot of the book, but Baldacci throws in a rather large, unexpected wrinkle to their struggles. Was it farfetched? Definitely. But did it keep my interest? Definitely. If anything Baldacci kept his book grounded through the real emotions of his characters, which felt believable. On the other hand, Lee would have been kicked out of the FBI and probably arrested for everything she did while searching for her sister. Just because she has a noble cause doesn't mean she's immune to the law. I also found part of the final fight scene a little unnecessary and unsupported. However, on the whole, it was a positive experience.

No comments: