Wednesday, April 27, 2022

#18 [2022/CBR14] Period. End of Sentence. by Anita Diamant

I'd heard of the Netflix film, Period. End of Sentence., after it won an Oscar in 2019. I haven't seen the film yet, but when I saw the book, Period. End of Sentence.: A New Chapter in the Fight for Menstrual Justice (2021), I thought it might be interesting and informative. I also listened to this one on audiobook because I barely have time for anything else.

This was a short, informative book about how the shame of menstruation and the lack of access to menstrual products (period poverty) has affected women around the world. There are a number of disturbing anecdotes that show how this is true. A young girl jumped off a building roof, killing herself, after her teacher shamed her when her period leaked onto her clothes. There are also innumerable stories of girls not going to school anymore because they have nothing to use when they get their period.

Since I've been dealing with my period for over twenty five years now and have the luxury of being able to buy any products I need, I considered myself having grown out of most of these issues. I'm very comfortable talking about my period with my boyfriend, my cramps give me a helpful heads up right before my period starts, and my Diva Cup has made leaks disappear. However, there are still those moments, usually at the climbing gym (I tend to spend a lot of time there)--with my Diva Cup at home--when my period comes unexpectedly. I am so grateful that they keep a stock of tampons and pads in the bathroom at no cost (I don't bring my wallet into the gym). If they didn't, I would probably have to cut my climbing short and go home. It's incredibly frustrating to be surprised by your period and not have what you need nearby.

Besides period poverty, there were also discussions of stocking tampons and pads in bathrooms at no cost because, like toilet paper, they are a necessary item in bathrooms. I would agree. Other suggestions were more controversial. Some people have advocated for a day or two off each month for people who menstruate. Some feminists (and I agree) think this encourages second-class citizenry--that women can't handle the workplace because of their period. I know some women have debilitating periods, and it would be good if their employers were flexible and helped them with workarounds. But besides some cramping that I can ignore without drugs, my period does not affect me. My work is dominated by men and can be kind of sexist. I can only imagine what they would say if I started getting days off work for my period. However, I don't want to shoot down the idea just because sexist men would dislike it. I also find it annoying to assume that all women are debilitated by their periods.

Another quick discussion in the book was about waste. It's disturbing to think of all the trash that we're adding to our ecosystem everyday--although the book focuses on period products. Avoiding plastic applicators is helpful, and I am definitely an advocate for a menstrual cup--for ease and comfort as well as limiting trash--but everyone has different needs and to each their own.

Beginning this book, I thought I was over the shame of periods. However, included in the book were some poems and writings that venerated women's periods. I realized that although I'd gotten comfortable with mine, I'd never viewed it in a positive light. It was a new perspective for me.

P.S. I am now halfway through with the Netflix documentary (it is very short), but it definitely seems worth watching.

No comments: