Friday, July 15, 2022

#31 [2022/CBR14] The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

I am getting married in less than a month. This is relevant because when my fiancĂ© and I started dating, he was shocked I hadn't read anything by Kazuo Ishiguro, and he loaned me his copy of Never Let Me Go. I thought the book was very good, and I was very impressed by my new boyfriend. I've been meaning to read more books by Ishiguro for ages, but only recently got around to The Remains of the Day (1990). I have vague memories of seeing the trailer for the movie, but otherwise I didn't know too much about this novel.

Stevens is an aging butler at Darlington Hall. He's worked for Lord Darlington for tens of years and devoted his life and career to him. After Lord Darlington's recent death, a rich American bought the property and Stevens was kept on as an important historical aspect of the property. When the new owner of Darlington Hall suggests that Stevens take a trip to see the English countryside, Stevens decides to take him up on it. He's recently heard from Miss Kenton, the old housekeeper. She married years ago and moved away, but Stevens thinks her latest letter sounded unhappy. He's decided that Darlington Hall would greatly benefit from her working there again, so the main point of his travel is to see if she is interested in coming back.

The entire book consists of the musings of Stevens as he goes on this road trip. Besides relaying his mini adventures on his drive, he meditates long and hard about his career as a butler, and what makes a good butler. Stevens is proud of what he's accomplished and considers himself a very good, dedicated butler.

Eventually you see that Stevens may have some misgivings about his dedication. He thought his life was fulfilling because he was helping a great man--Lord Darlington--do the important work of leading and guiding the country. But post World War II, it is apparent that Lord Darlington made some mistakes with his alliances and efforts. At times, Stevens chooses not to tell people that he worked for Lord Darlington.

Stevens has always been so focused on being a good butler that he denied his own feelings. Whether he was dealing with the old age and death of his father or his love of the housekeeper, he refused to even entertain his own emotions. It was sometimes frustrating to read because he often comes across as pretty callous. Miss Kenton was certainly frustrated with him at times.

It seems near the end of the book that Stevens has a kind of epiphany and realizes all that he's given up. Yet just in the next sentence he's thinking about how he can manipulate himself into a more pleasing butler for the new owner of Darlington Hall.

I was very impressed by the writing of this book, and I'm glad I finally read it. I don't think I'm stopping here, either. I will probably read another Ishiguro book; I'm just not sure which one.

No comments: