Thursday, December 29, 2022

#54 [2022/CBR14] Love Lessons by Sarina Bowen

I saw that Sarina Bowen had a new Brooklyn Bruisers hockey romance out. I've read them all so far, and I knew this one would be no exception. Love Lessons (2022) is Book 7 of this hockey series, and Bowen is quickly pairing up anyone and everyone involved with the team--although it's most often the players. Like I've said in my other reviews, I've been a hockey fan, so reading about the inner workings of a professional team is good, escapist fun.

Vera is a stylist who works with Neil Drake, and is friends with his new wife--also a hockey player. She runs into Ian Crikey, another Brooklyn Bruiser, when he buys the building next door and moves in. They have a rocky start, with Ian being a noisy, inconsiderate neighbor. But when Ian gets in trouble and has to improve his image, Vera offers to be his stylist. In addition, Neil has invited both of them on his private jet for a vacation on Lake Como in Italy. 

Vera's ex-boyfriend has also just moved to New York after finishing grad school. He unceremoniously dumped her, but is now back in contact. Vera's not sure if she wants him back or just wants him to regret leaving her. Either way, she is still hung up on him. But there is no denying the sexual tension between her and Ian. The problem is that Vera has some hang ups around sex--mainly that she feels the need to perform and gets too uptight to enjoy herself. She asks Ian for some help--telling him specifically that she wants to be able to confidently seduce her ex-boyfriend.

Ian was one of the few main characters from Bowen's novels that I disliked when the book started. He was whiny and did not take responsibility for his actions. He hit on Vera in a semi-creepy way when she was obviously uncomfortable. Fortunately, there was some growth in the characters, and he grew on me as I read.

On the whole, this was what I expected--a fun romance with a lot of professional athletes. It's not my favorite of the series, but it was very readable. I did have a couple of nitpicks, though. First, I didn't love all the PDA from the couples in Italy. I've vacationed with friends before, and I would feel uncomfortable if everyone just started intensely making out in front of me--even if we were in a very romantic spot. Secondly, Ian is an enforcer for the Bruisers, which means he is the one who most often fights on the team. Part of the plot is that Ian had injured a younger player during a fight. I wish this plot line had been used to address the dangers and long-term damage in a somewhat more realistic way instead of just using it as something for Ian to worry about until it miraculously isn't his fault at all. I was impressed with how Alexa Martin dealt with CTE in her football romance novels, so I know it can be done.

No comments: