Thursday, July 13, 2023

#24 [2023/CBR15] Chick Magnet by Emma Barry

Amazon sucked me into buying Chick Magnet (2023) by Emma Barry. It's rare that I buy a book (I am a very faithful library user)--but I can't remember the last time I bought a random romance online. I'm not sure what prompted me, but it must have been cheap and looked fun and new.

Nicole Jones, also known as "Chick Nic" is a Youtube influencer and star who focuses her Youtube channel on breeding chickens. Nic has hastily moved across the country to the small town where her grandmother grew up. She is fleeing a recent breakup and a terrible relationship. Her ex was also a Youtube star, but he was very controlling and manipulative. He broke up with her online, publicly accusing her of hitting on his best friend. Nic didn't realize what a toxic relationship she was in until after she left.

Almost as soon as she gets into her new house, the grumpy, sexy neighbor knocks on her door to complain that one of her chickens is running around loose. Nic doesn't understand why he's so hostile towards her. It isn't until she shows up in a panic at the local vet's office with a sick chicken, that she realizes her grumpy neighbor is also the veterinarian.

Will Lund is dealing with his own demons. His veterinary office has always been his dream, but especially since COVID, he can't keep his head above water. His family isn't supportive, and he can't face the failure that's coming. Will doesn't want to admit it, but he is actually very familiar with Nic and her chick videos. He thinks she's beautiful and charismatic, but he's frustrated with how her videos encourage people to get chicks when they don't know what they're doing. He also thinks her tips can be irresponsible.

Because of Will's attitude and some misunderstandings, they don't start off well. But they slowly open up to each other--helping each other out.

I definitely liked the beginning of this book. I have a couple Youtube creators that I follow and enjoy. It was interesting to read a book from the other side of the camera. In addition, the tone was often lighthearted and silly, making for an enjoyable read. Nic is making friends, and they're running around chasing chickens. With that said, the characters do have their struggles. Will ends up seeking help for depression, and Nic has to face betrayal and loss.

However, as the book went on, I lost a little interest. Nic's ex-boyfriend was horrible, but there wasn't enough detail for me to think of him as a real person. And something just didn't quite click for me with Nic and Will. I thought they had better chemistry when they were bickering. On the whole, I enjoyed the book, but I found the beginning a little better than the ending.

cbr15bingo - "On the air" because the main character is a Youtube star and influencer

No comments: