Thursday, September 21, 2023

#38 [2023/CBR15] The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

I've had The Dutch House (2019) by Ann Patchett sitting on my hold list at the library for literal ages. It's been available numerous times, but I kept postponing it because there was always something more pressing or exciting to read. Finally, I saw it again when I was looking for audiobooks to read and a familiar name caught my eye. Tom Hanks was the narrator of the audiobook! I usually like to read my literature myself, but I'm also a fan of Tom Hanks, so I gave the sample a quick listen and dove right in.

First, Tom Hanks did a fantastic job. Second, I loved this book. I forgot how much I enjoy how well Patchett crafts her characters. They all felt real to me, and they were all fascinating, three-dimensional people. The writing was very good.

The story is told from the point of view of Danny Conroy. He's only a young kid when his father first brings Andrea back to the Dutch House. Danny and his older sister Maeve had lost their mother years earlier. Danny doesn't remember his mother, and besides the household help, Maeve is the one who cares for him. The two are very close. 

Danny and his older sister Maeve have no idea how Andrea will change their lives. But when their father dies, Andrea sells off the family business and kicks Danny and Maeve from the Dutch House. Danny and Maeve still have each other, though, and they work through their new circumstances. But the memory of their old home is always there, an anchor for the family they used to have.

The book continues to follow Danny and Maeve as they grow older, make it through school, marry, and have kids. Eventually, we learn about their mother and father as well, including how they met and why their mother left. The Dutch House played a large part in all their lives and meant very different things to each of them.

I realize the description of this book isn't exactly gripping--especially the way I tell it: there's a family that lives in a house. But Patchett is so good with all the little moments that create real people, and I felt real emotions through the whole novel. I'm definitely planning on reading more books by Patchett, and I might look to see if Tom Hanks has narrated anymore audio books.

Highly recommended.

CBR15Bingo: "Dwelling"

No comments: