Saturday, September 23, 2023

#40 [2023/CBR15] Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I first noticed Daisy Jones & the Six (2019) by Taylor Jenkins Reid when I saw an ad for the new television series based on the book. It looked pretty entertaining, but I always like reading the book first. I put a hold in at my library and started waiting.

I found this book to be a quick, entertaining read. We learn about the beginnings and endings of a popular band in the early 1970's. I enjoyed that the entire story was told through interviews with the band, managers, friends, and family. It added another layer when people's recollections differed and you knew the truth was probably somewhere in the middle.

Billy Dunne and Daisy Jones are the main characters. Billy and his brother started a band back on the East Coast, and traveled to Los Angeles when they became more popular. Daisy Jones grew up in Los Angeles, a beautiful daughter of VIP parents who ignored her. It seemed almost fated that the two would end up working together and Daisy would join the band.

But Billy and Daisy had something of a love/hate relationship. Billy is struggling with his new sobriety and wholly dedicated to his wife Camille and their children. He is annoyed at how Daisy tries to take control, and her constant drinking and drug use are difficult for him to watch. Yet he can't help but feel the connection with Daisy--especially when they sing together. 

Although Billy and Daisy get center stage, there are many other relationships and dynamics that form the band. Billy's brother, Graham, and another bandmate, Karen, end up secretly together. Yet Karen isn't interested in marriage. She wants to be in a band, not be a mother. In addition, Eddie (another bandmember) is consistently jealous of Billy and the attention he gets; he is also tired of Billy constantly controlling everything. These things can't stay bottled up forever, and in the end, it all comes to a head.

I really had a good time reading this book. I thought the characters were well developed, and it was fun to read. My husband and I began watching the show once I finished the book. I thought the actors were good for their roles and doing a good job, but I am finding myself distracted by all the differences between the book and the screen. I'm also finding both Daisy and Karen more annoying on screen than I found them in person. We actually stopped watching the show because we lost a little interest, but I think we'll get back into it eventually.

***SPOILERS***I was a little annoyed at the end of this book. We discover that the interviewer is Billy's daughter, who was always fond of Daisy. We also realize that Billy's beloved wife, Camille, died five years before, and she left a note to her daughters telling them to push their dad into seeing Daisy again. We don't know what happens after that, but I don't think Billy and Daisy need to end up together. Just because they made good music at one time does not mean they make good romantic partners--especially when both of them are sober.

CBR15Bingo: "On The Road" for all the tours the band goes on.

No comments: