Monday, December 17, 2012

#27 (cbriv-2012) "Wallflower at the Orgy" by Nora Ephron

I'm pretty sure Wallflower at the Orgy (1980) by Nora Ephron was another one of those books I just stumbled upon while browsing my library's kindle book selection. I liked When Harry Met Sally, so my general impression of Nora Ephron was favorable, and the title of this book sounded both exciting (orgy) and relatable (wallflower). I decided to give it a try.

The book consists of a series of essays written by Nora Ephron in 1968 and 1969. Although there were a couple of interesting essays that caught my attention, I don't think I would have even finished this one if it weren't so short. The main problem was that many of the subjects felt dated, and without more contemporary explanation of the context of the time and the people, it didn't work for me. Then throw in a couple of obscure character subjects and some uncomfortably dated rape jokes and I pretty much lost interest.

The essays I found the  most interesting were about Helen Gurney Brown, The Fountainhead, and even the making of the film Catch-22. These topics were the best because I had at least a passing knowledge of the subjects before reading the essays. I'm sure it would have been even more interesting if I'd actually ever seen Catch-22, but at least I'd read the book and was familiar with the plot. However, even these essays weren't much more than one woman's opining; I didn't feel like I was learning much.

The essay on feuds between snobby food critics in New York City, and essays why various books and poets were not nearly as good as their popularity suggested did not age well. I imagine it would be like someone forty years from now reading why Twilight (a movie they'd never seen and only vaguely heard of) is not very good. It just doesn't really matter anymore, and from my perspective Ephron came across as more bitchy than informative: "You think you're so good because you sold millions of books/poetry/etc. but your stuff is kitschy and it sucks."

It's fair to say that I am probably not the best audience for this book. I wasn't even born until ten years after her first essay, and I've never cared much for high fashion, high food, etc. Perhaps the most telling parts of this book were the casually thrown in references to rape and treatment of women that show a dramatically "old-fashioned" point of view that I have trouble even understanding.

"And if, in the course of the evening, he happens to attack and rape me--well, we're civilized people. I could hardly yell for the police. I'd just have to submit." (151) --I understand that she's joking here, I just don't think it's funny.

And then on the set of Catch-22: "He called a take for sound only. And as Arkin began to slip his hand up Miss Prentiss's skirt, Nichols grabbed her from behind and plunked his hands onto her breasts. 'I let out this great hoot,' said Miss Prentiss, 'which Mike was very happy with. Then I was so overcome with emotion I had to go into a corner and be alone. Whenever someone touches me I'm in love with him for about eight hours.'" (179) --I realize grabbing at breasts without warning is probably pretty commonplace in Hollywood, but I wouldn't like it. And I don't understand Miss Prentiss's reaction. Depending on the circumstances, I would either brush it off or feel embarrassed and violated.

No comments: