Tuesday, November 26, 2019

#37 [2019/CBR11] "A Prince on Paper" by Alyssa Cole

I've seen Alyssa Cole books around for a little while, and they looked interesting. I was going to read Duke by Default but a scene in the beginning turned me off. I didn't ever get into it. So, instead, I eventually picked up A Prince on Paper (2019). I think I was intrigued because the character of Johan reminded me of Prince Harry and I wondered if that was done on purpose. Now I realize I probably should have started with the first book in the series.

After some events in A Princess in Theory that I did not read, Nya is coming home to Thesolo (made-up African country) from New York for the wedding of Ledi and Prince Thabiso. She is very nervous about facing her father, who gaslighted and controlled her since she was little. He is now in jail for crimes against the royals. She is also worried about other people's reactions to her after all that has happened. On the royal private plane ride, she runs into Johan in the plane's bedroom. Johan von Braustein is the red-headed step-Prince (his mother married the King after having Johan) of Liechtienbourg (made up European country, based on Liechtienstein??). The two get a little too close before arriving in Thesolo.

When Johan's little brother gets some bad press back at home, Johan is determined to take some of the heat off him in the only way he knows how. He asks Nya to come back with him to Liechtienbourg as his supposed fiance. The two are together under false pretenses, but they enjoy spending time together and opening up about their problems. Johan is trying desperately to protect his little brother who resents the fact that he can't be who he wants. In addition, Nya is dealing with her father, and the Liechtienbourg is voting to possibly do away with the monarchy.

It's unfortunate that I am behind in my reviews, as I read this book quite a long time ago. I'm having a hard time remembering all the details and what I thought about them, which means it's not my favorite. So, I remember for the most part liking Johan and Nya and their interactions. I guess it's always fun to pretend to be royalty. The book, as a whole, did not feel realistic--even for a romance. The fake countries probably had a lot to do with that. And I had a hard time imagining the royal prince, gossip fodder for the world, wandering right outside his castle with his new fiance with no security. Maybe I would have been more interested in the characters if I'd read the first book in this series.

No comments: