Wednesday, December 11, 2019

#47 [2019/CBR11] "When a Scot Ties the Knot" by Tessa Dare

Tessa Dare is usually a safe author for me, so when I went looking for a fun romance to read on the airplane during a trip, I blindly grabbed one of hers that I hadn't read. And I ended up with When a Scot Ties the Knot (2015). Now, because I'm behind in my reviews, I read this book a couple of months ago, and I'm having a little trouble remembering all the details. However, in my notes for this review I wrote: "It's kind of ridiculous and kind of fun," and I think that sums it up nicely.

Madeline Gracechurch has anxiety issues when it comes to being in public. She gets terrified and she can't focus. So the idea of having a debut season in London in order to find a beau sounds like an absolute nightmare. There is only one thing she can do to save herself, and that is to make up a Sweetheart. Her imaginary Captain in the army is Scottish. The two are besotted with each other and engaged to be married. Madeline writes real letters to her Captain because it is expected of her, and she even sends them off, knowing they will be lost with no real recipient.

But this ludicrous story couldn't go on forever. Eventually, her beloved Captain has to return to her or people will start wondering. Since an imaginary Captain returning was out of the question, Madeline decided that her Captain should instead be killed in battle, dying a hero. After the Captain's death, Madeline's uncle gives her a nice estate up North. Madeline is finally happy. Her aunt has come to live with her as a companion, but otherwise she is her own person, doing whatever she wants whenever she wants.

Until one day when her imagination becomes real life and Captain Logan MacKenzie shows up at her estate, ready to be married. Madeline is two parts horrified and one part intrigued. Logan is very good looking and sometimes charming, and it is difficult to say no to him. However, what really stops Madeline from coming clean is that she doesn't want to admit to her aunt that she's lied to her all these years.

Madeline and Logan begin spending more time together as they take a look at the estate. Logan learns about Madeline's talent and obsession with nature, science, and drawing. And Madeline learns about the suffering and horrors that Logan and his men have seen. Logan wants to give them a place where they can settle down and have families.

Although I can't remember all the details, I think this book was generally fun and what you would expect from a Tessa Dare novel. I'm sure I'll be reading more, and I always appreciate her fun style.

No comments: