Saturday, June 19, 2021

#17 [2021/CBR13] Blitzed by Alexa Martin

Blitzed (2019) by Alexa Martin is book 3 of 4 in a Denver football romance series that I stumbled upon. I accidentally missed the third book, so Blitzed is the last book of the series that I'm reading. I've enjoyed all four of them. I love that they are set in Denver (my hometown) and written by someone who grew up in Denver. Martin knows the area and the neighborhoods so well, and it's fun to read about them. I also appreciate that Martin bravely broaches some heavier topics than you would expect from your typical romances, including brain damage in football players and racism. Although they were never perfect, the positives outweigh the negatives by far.

Brynn is the owner of a bar that caters to women, a place where women can have good beer, fun cocktails, and friendship while avoiding the meat market. She's become friends with a number of Denver Mustangs' (Broncos) wives and players. She's also had a little bit of a crush on Maxwell, a quiet, formidable defensive player, but he just won't come out of his shell around her. However, she changes her mind about him after he violently explodes at her bar, and she decides that she doesn't want anything to do with him.

That doesn't last long, though, because the Denver Mustangs' wives are a nosy bunch and think Brynn and Maxwell make an adorable couple. Their interference works, and Brynn and Maxwell start spending more time with each other. Things grow from there. But Brynn and the readers still do not understand what made Maxwell so mad that day at her bar. Also, Maxwell's brother suddenly appears, and he's creepy. It's obvious that he's going to become a problem.

The couple are driven apart for a short time. This did feel a little less than believable. I don't think Brynn would be stupid enough to believe Maxwell's brother. But the whole thing was over and done with quickly. 

To be honest, all four of these books are kind of rummaging around in my head, and I'm having a hard time remembering the details of each one. There are always a lot of parties, girl talk, football, and romance. The characters are likable and they grow as they figure out what they want. I think this football series is over now that Martin has written the fourth book--although I honestly wouldn't mind a fifth. I'm curious what she's going to write next.

No comments: