Tuesday, November 30, 2021

#19 [2021/CBR13] Atomic Habits by James Clear

I can't remember where I first saw Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones (2018) by James Clear, but I thought it might be interesting and useful. I started listening to this on audiobook, but quickly decided that I liked it enough to really read it and switched over to my Kindle.

Atomic Habits is a self-help book that is pretty self explanatory. I found it generally interesting and informative. Unfortunately, I'm also way behind on reviews, and I read this book a long time ago. Although I still remember bits and pieces, it's all a little fuzzy. Perhaps I can make a habit of not falling hopelessly behind on my reviews.

Some important takeaways that stuck with me include the idea that successful people don't have any more motivation than the average person. Instead, they set their life up, so they can do all the virtuous, industrious, and useful things automatically--without really thinking.

One important thing you can do is make the things you want to do easier while making the things you don't want to do harder. If you want to watch less television, put your remote in the closet and/or unplug the television. Now you can't mindlessly turn on the tv when you're bored, but you have to take positive action. And this works the other way as well. If you want to practice the guitar more, keep it right next to the couch, so you see it all the time and it's easy to grab.

Clear also discussed how to get really good at things. Obviously, you have to put in the time, but it matters how you practice as well. It's best to always make it challenging, and to be right on the edge of your ability. Not only will you make the most improvement, but it will also stave off boredom. But dedication is also important. You have to suck it up and work at it, even when you don't feel like it or are frustrated by lack of improvement.

Finally, one more tip I remember is to take things in baby steps. It's much easier to add one vegetable to your dinner than overhauling your entire diet in one step. You're more likely to be successful that way, and you can then build off of that small success.

"Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become."

No comments: