Tuesday, August 6, 2024

#15 [2024/CBR16] Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy

I am sitting on my couch, and I have over twenty reviews to catch up on. So, it's not surprising why I chose to read Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time (2017) by Brian Tracy. I have a problem with procrastination, and I was looking for some inspiration. I listened to the audiobook. I thought the author did a good job reading the book. It was quick, to the point, and had some good ideas. Although procrastination still plagues me, some of Tracy's hints have stuck with me.

Tracy does not waste his time digging into the psychology of procrastination--something I'm actually a little curious about. I've read that procrastinators have a hard time regulating their emotions, and I wonder if that's true with me. But if you want that kind of insight, you'll have to read a different book; Tracy starts off with practical advice that will make you efficient and productive. 

I don't remember everything from the book now, but here are the things that stuck with me:

-Make sure you figure out what you want and what you want to focus your time on. You can't do everything, so figure out what it is you want to do. This is a major issue for me. Even on Duolingo, I can't figure out what language I want to focus on. I've narrowed it down to two, but there's at least four more that I'm interested in. And that's just one of the many things I don't *need* to do but enjoy.

-80/20 Rule - twenty percent of the things you do will reap eighty percent of the benefits. A lot of the rest of it is busy work. Quite often that twenty percent are things we might dread doing. But if you see that it would be the most useful and actually get it done, it can make the most difference in your life.

-Finally, eat that frog. That thing that you're dreading, do it as quickly as you can and get it over with. You don't want that frog hanging over you for your whole day. Tracy also discussed different techniques for taking on big projects that might seem overwhelming at first.

On the whole, this book was well worth my time. Even writing this review, I'm inspired to renew my efforts at being productive. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: