Thursday, October 3, 2024

#19 [2024/CBR16] The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata

I may have had the Taylor Swift/Travis Kelce romance in my head when I decided to read a football romance. Also, my friend recommended The Wall of Winnipeg and Me (2023) by Mariana Zapata, and she usually has pretty good recommendations. This was a fun romance. It generally kept my interest, and I enjoyed reading it.

Vanessa Mazur had a pretty terrible childhood, but she's managed to make a pretty good life for herself. She wants to start a graphic design company, but has worked for the past couple of years as an assistant/do-it-all for Aiden Graves. Aiden is a defensive end in the NFL. He's a superstar with the nickname of "The Wall of Winnipeg." He's also incredibly standoffish and unmindful of Vanessa and all the work she does for him.

But after being berated by Aiden's manager one last time, Vanessa has had enough and she quits. She's ready to start her own business anyways. Shortly thereafter, Aiden shows up at her place, begging for her to come back. But he wants more from her this time. Born in Canada, marrying an American would solve his residency issues. He asks Vanessa to marry him for five years, after which, he will buy her a house and pay off her student debt. Having this financial burden off her back is too tempting and Vanessa agrees. 

As Vanessa and Aiden are faking being a couple, they develop real feelings for each other. It is a slow burn as the two really fall for each other and then finally admit it to themselves and each other. I enjoyed the little bit of football that was in the book--all from Vanessa's perspective, and I was glad they got together in the end. There's even a puppy! (Although I was a little disturbed that Vanessa would put a brand new puppy all by itself in the garage--the poor thing was probably scared!)

I was happy in the end, but it definitely took me awhile to warm up to Aiden Graves. If this wasn't a romance novel, I would have told Vanessa to stay away from him. He was rude, thought of no one but himself, and was difficult to get along with. At first I couldn't see why Vanessa even had a crush on him. I thought she should get together with Aiden's roommate: the guy she talked to about all her secrets and problems, another hot football player, and the guy she would go running with. But it all worked out in the end. Enjoyable.

No comments: