Saturday, April 20, 2024

#7 [2024/CBR16] The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson

I've read Nothing to See Hear by Kevin Wilson, and really liked the creativity and tone of the novel. So, when my book club chose The Family Fang (2011) by Wilson, I was excited for more of the same. Although this book was still unique and creative, I did not like it as much as Nothing to See Hear. We did have a good discussion at my book club, and I learned a bit about some of the history of performance art. However, I never felt as connected or sympathetic to the characters in this novel.

Annie and Buster Fang had an unusual upbringing--to say the least. Raised by their artist parents, Caleb and Camille, they were brought into their parents disruptive and odd "performance art" as children. Now as adults, Annie is an actress and Buster is a journalist. All they want is to stay away from their parents and whatever they're concocting.

Yet through some bad luck and bad choices, Annie and Buster find themselves back at their parents' home. The book alternates between their childhood and the present, showing how the children's mental and physical wellbeing were put on hold for the sake of their "art." It was interesting to see where the father's idea of good art stemmed from, and how he influenced his wife. We spent some time at book club figuring out who to blame the most.

When their parents disappear under suspicious circumstances, Annie and Buster are convinced it's just another one of their parents' elaborate schemes. But the police are pretty sure they've succumbed to foul play. If anyone knows how to bring their parents out of hiding, it's the children who've been an intimate part of their "shows" for decades. But even Annie and Buster are wondering if their parents are really gone.

I think this book makes some interesting points about art and dysfunctional families. Unfortunately, the people never felt real enough or likeable enough to really bring me into the story (even though I sometimes felt sorry for the children). Everything was so odd and wacky that it never really felt like a real family or people I could relate to. 

No comments: